29 April 2017

Hope in the Husk

Media outlets have a tendency to sensationalize the situation in Haiti. That's what sells newspapers, right? And I want to believe that that's the case in this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-4455968/amp/Downpours-ruin-spring-harvest-beleaguered-southwest-Haiti.html

But I know it isn't. This is exactly what we were afraid would happen when Hurricane Matthew hit last October. Knowing that people are slowly starving to death just miles from you...forces action. Something inside you whispers: "It is not. right." We fly for organizations that are helping: David says he's flying a lot of groups doing roof repair, which is much-needed as rainy season returns. But that feels out-of-touch to me...I know in my head that we're helping, but it isn't enough. 

 

So I've been sending them seeds from my moringa tree. I know it's barely making a difference...maybe not making a difference at all. But it is what I can do. They grow fast; the leaves are very nutritious. Food is what they need. 

 

 

Even more, the bees, hummingbirds, and beetles love it. Their ecosystem in the south has been thoroughly devastated...but maybe this helps. If nothing else, it assuages my conscience. No, that's not right--it assuages my soul. It comforts the part that cannot stand to see people suffer and die just because they're hungry. I send these seeds like a letter: someone cares. Don't give up. Don't lose hope. Your life will flower and bloom again, even when all seems lost, even when it all seems dry and dead. In that husk, sometimes, you can find just what you need to start over. 

 

Thanks for praying for those suffering in the south. 

No comments:

Post a Comment