27 May 2014

The Chik

I tried. I failed.

I've got the new virus that's taken Haiti by swarm--mosquito swarm, that is. I personally know 13 people who've had it, and that number is on the rise.

Not everybody's got it, but few can pronounce it anyway...

"Chicken-monkey."

"Chikamunga."

And for the truly lazy..."that chicken thing."

It's your standard tropical illness in many ways. Fever, rash, fatigue...but for the record, I don't feel like my bones are breaking...that's not how I'd describe it at all.

My hips feel like I tried to do the Jillian Michaels 30-day shred--all 30 days at once.

My neck feels like I was rear ended by a Mack truck. (By the way, when I was ten and we were rear ended at a gas station, the nurse prescribed Popsicles and Bugs Bunny. Oh, to be ten again.)

My feet feel like someone ran over them with a loaded grocery cart--and then backed up for good measure. Did you know there are 33 joints in your feet? I did, because I can feel every one when I walk.

And my hands...don't get me started on them. Opening a jar? Forget it. Picking up Peter? Rough. Even typing this with one finger is a bit tiring. 

But the thing that hurts most is that I feel like I should've done more. Yes, I zapped everything that flew. I coated myself is smelly sprays. We limited our outdoor time. But it still feels like my fault. And now I'm not there for the people who need me. 

Please pray that Peter wouldn't get it. I'm thankful for my fantastic husband (who's already had it) who's taking good care of the boy. He's the best.

Hey, I just remembered we have Popsicles in the fridge...

I gotta go.






1 comment:

  1. Oh no! Getting hit by a mosquito-borne virus like Chikungunya is quite a troublesome event. I'm so sorry that you had to go through all those painful effects that the virus comes in effect with. I honestly hope you're feeling better nowadays, Christine. I'm wishing you all the best! Take care always!

    Sabrina Craig @ Medical Attorney NY

    ReplyDelete