25 April 2012

A disturbance in the force

"In the middle of the night, Miss Clavel turned on her light and said, 'Something is not right.'"
 Madeline by Ludwig Bemelmans

Those of who aren't "children's literature people" may not get this feeling...or you may have a different name for it...you may call it a disturbance in the force. Or that your feng shui is off. But I call it having a Miss Clavel moment. Actually, a two-day stretch. 

I can't even name all the weird things that have happened this week. 

I ran out of flour (what?!). 

We've had political demonstrations (including burning tires, free of charge). 

The Mayor's office came to our door on Sunday. 

It rained all day today. Now, Northwest people, indulge me for a minute here, because I don't want to get angry, soggy letters from you. Here in Haiti, it rains in the afternoon. Period. Their weather patterns are extremely regular...so for it to rain all day? It's bizarre. They cancel school on account of it. 

I canceled flights today. We tried--we really did. But we just couldn't make it work. They tried flying over it, under it, and around it, and they just couldn't get through. 

There was no traffic coming home. Usually, driving here feels a little bit like Harry Potter on the Knight Bus. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, you can see it here. Thanks to David Harms for his apt description.) Today, we made it home in record time. 

Eagle Supermarket gave me back extra money...and it wasn't a mistake. 

We've had almost no city power for a week. But no one else has either. A lot of times, if one neighborhood has power, another one is cut off. But this week, it seems like everyone's hurting. 

My ying and my yang aren't jivving. I don't know how it'll happen, but I can't wait for balance to be restored. Do you ever feel like that?

There's no prayer request here. See? That's how off I am. 

Weird.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Sis. Hope tomorrow is better.
    Hugs from us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry you're having such an off week. Hopefully you're getting it all out of the way. LOVED David's description of driving in Haiti - VERY apt! Praying for you guys. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you....bummer that things are so out of whack.

    ReplyDelete