24 November 2011

Ten Things I'm Thankful For, In No Particular Order

1. No school today. Every week day, we "get to" listen to a chorus of motorcycles, crying kids, and people chattering in Kreyol. It really ramps up just about the time we were supposed to be eating dinner...but today, school was canceled unexpectedly. I don't know how or why, but we weren't complaining.

2. Got to Skype with the fam. I could see them, and thanks to the inventors of the iPhone and the mirror, they could see me, too. Missionaries would have killed for that 100 years ago, and it's free.

3. My pumpkin pies turned out okay...even though I forgot half the milk.

4. Giant Supermarket had cranberry sauce. There's just something about it that just makes Thanksgiving.

5. Four cool kids who ate what we put in front of them, said please and thank you, wore out my dogs, and gave me hugs.

6. David took two days of vacation this week, and I went to work without him. I had no idea work would be so much more boring just by removing my husband. I was itching to get out of there at 3:00...but I got to hang out with him today and yesterday.

7. It's almost Christmas. Christmas. And after that, David's parents come to visit...I'm thankful for families who will spend time, money, and safety to see us. 

8. The grass withers and the flower falls, but the word of the Lord remains forever. And this word is the good news that was preached to me, the precious blood of Christ that bought me (I Peter 1:24-25). I still don't deserve a drop of it.

9. I have a toilet; three, in fact. I realize how silly that sounds, but November 19th was World Toilet Day. And the more I thought about it, the more I realized how great it is to have one. Not just because I'd have to go outside at 4:30 AM to...(ahem). But "as of 14 October, about a year from the start of the epidemic, Haiti's ministry of health reported 473,649 cases of cholera and 6,631 deaths attributed to it across all 10 of the country's departments." (For the rest of the article, click here.) And I bet there a lot more going unrecorded who never make it to a hospital. But I have a toilet, and that helps more than just me.

10. You. Yes, you. You pray for us and support us, and please believe me when I say that nothing can replace it and nothing could mean more.

Happy Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment