30 September 2011

Nessie


This is Anyen. In Kreyol, her name means "nothing." That's the first name I gave her, the day we found her on the property at the old house. This was the expression she had on her face, pretty much all the time. That is, if you could get close enough to see her expression. It was a big property, and she'd just run away if you tried to come close.

I thought about having her put down. She seemed pretty...useless. She was skinny and her fur was falling out all over the place. According to the landlord, the people who had rented the house before us just left her there. She survived for weeks? months? on mangoes and rain water. I fed her some leftover beans, but she still wouldn't come within six feet of me.

And then, we had to change her name. Someone tried to come over our wall--pulled down the razor wire--and she protected us. So, David suggested Anyen's name be changed to Onesimus...from "nothing" to "useful," just like that. I call her Nessie for short, and several other adorable nicknames, the best of which is "Happy-Ness."


Some of you may remember that we moved last weekend. Our first dog, Grace, waltzed into the new yard, sniffed around, plopped herself down the in the gallery and fell asleep. Nessie wasn't so sure. First of all, she was just sure we were going to leave her. Just sure. So when we piled her into the car with the dog food and the toys, she didn't dare hope.

The days that followed have been...a little rough. She was never an escape artist...before we moved. She'd never have sneaked into the house...before we moved. (You should have seen her trying to get footing on the tile floors as I dragged her back out. I would have been amused if I wasn't so mad.)

If we leave, she cries. If we go into the garage where she can't see us, she cries. If I feed her, she cries. Let's see, maybe it would be easier to list when she doesn't cry: when I'm petting her or when she's sleeping. To be fair, there are other moments...but they feel few at the moment.


Out of pity, I tried bringing her down to the garage when I worked on screening the back door. She seemed a little happier, but thought she'd be even more happy crawling under the front gate. Sigh. When I finished the door, I picked up her leash and started up the stairs...only to find myself rudely jerked backwards. She looked up at me...and lay down. "Come on, Ness, let's go." No response. No tail thumping against the concrete. No smiles (see above). Nothing. She put her head down on the concrete.

As I carried her up the stairs, much to the amusement of several Haitian onlookers, I realized I must really care about this dog...or she'd be back out on the street. Please pray for patience for us as we all settle in!

Other than Nessie's tough adjustment, things are going pretty well, thanks to help from our neighbor Todd especially. As a nice change, this house actually gets city power (unlike the last one, where they inexplicably cut us off for two months...thank God for generators).

I'm supposed to go back to work scheduling on Monday, but we're both home sick today. Please pray for quick healing, as there's still a lot to be done around here.

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet-looking dog. I hope she makes the adjustment to your new home. We all have our issues, don't we?

    ReplyDelete