09 March 2011

One Year

Happy anniversary, friends! We've been in Haiti for one year today, and I can hardly recount all the things we've done and seen and learned over the last year. Our pastor, Serge, was marveling the other day that we could adjust to life here at all...and to be honest, I'm still baffled by it myself sometimes.

Like chickens.

Chickens running around in the street seem normal now. Ditto for goats, their kids, Haitian kids and dogs. I tune them out day and night.

Like coconuts.



I opened this coconut all by myself last week using a machete. (No fingers were harmed in the writing of this blog.) Fresh coconut in our granola is a favorite around here. I used to buy shredded coconut for 363 goud a bag...but I bought this one in the market for ten. Score one for the blan.

Like counting the days. When we first got here, I did this:


I got through our first few weeks in the village by daily reminding myself that it would be over someday. I know I haven't shared many of the "downs" of our "up's and down's," and that's partly intentional. I don't want you to worry about us, and I'm allergic to complaining. But suffice it to say, it hasn't all been easy...but we're where we're supposed to be.

Like home.

It's here now, in Haiti. Its foreignness is slowly, systematically, being replaced by familiarity. Home now means dusty roads and cold showers and kompa music outside and the dripping of my water filter. It's bananas in my tree and hummingbirds in my yard. It's uniformed school kids and afternoon thunderstorms and barking dogs.

Oh, speaking of which, Gracie says hi.

Thanks for bearing our burderns through your prayers this year. We're grateful. Please keep praying for God's direction and leading for us.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the year in Haiti. You are constantly in my thoughts and my prayers. May God keep you super safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - a year!! I have a whole new appreciation of some of what you've had to adjust to - and you've done it well. My prayers are continually with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on a year well done! I cannot imagine everything that you have endured and learned as you make Haiti your home. Life with Jesus is always an adventure. :-)

    Big hugs from the Eugene branch of the Harms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, we are so proud of you. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete