16 January 2011

A Song to Sing

As you may remember, we go to a Haitian church (specifically this one). We go for two reasons: 1) It's great language practice. 2) I hate being isolated and I love having Haitian friends. Also, Seige's sermons are really good...even when I only understand 60% of what he says. 

But David and I both agree that worship is the best part...even when it sounds too loud to our American ears. There's one song we've sung for a few weeks now that I can tell they really like, because the voices get louder and the hands wave. Unlike most of our songs, I think it was actually written in Creole...most of our songs are translated from English into French or Creole, with variations to maintain the rhyme scheme. I'm going to try to translate it for you. Try to read it with a Caribbean beat. If you need to sway, I understand.

God's never forsaken me a day
God's never forsaken me a day
When I meet him one day
I'll make friends with him
God's never forsaken me a day

The God of Israel
He's a God who's so faithful
He never lets go of his child
He's worthy of worship

The God of Haiti
He's a God who's so faithful
He never lets go of his child
He's worthy of worship

The God I'm serving
He's a God who's so faithful
He never lets go of his child
He's worthy of worship

Homeless people sing this song. People whose families members have died of cholera sing it. People who can't find work sing it. And they believe it.

So do I.

We're about due for more "manifestations" (read: violent protests) this week, when they decide the final results from the first round of elections. Thanks in advance for your prayers, for Haiti and for us.

2 comments:

  1. What a great song! We would all do well to remember the lyrics, and the circumstances of those singing it. And regarding the upcoming "manifestations," we will certainly pray -- especially with the Heuser visitation coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about songs that are translated from english vs those written in the actual language! People really get into those songs that are written for them.

    Very good song!

    ReplyDelete