01 January 2011

Happy New Year



Happy New Years, all. I've documented for you my attempt at Haitian culture--I made my first batch of pumpkin soup this week! It's a tradition for Haitians to eat this particular recipe when they celebrate New Year's Day, as they prepare for Ancestor's Day on January 2nd. I happen to love this recipe--it's spicy and it has good depth of flavor. And yet, each family has their own personal variation, some putting in spaghetti or macaroni, some using leeks, some using goat meat rather than beef.

All week, I've noticed people cleaning up the streets, burning trash, getting ready for the holiday...I've got some trash I'm leaving behind in 2010, too. Here's to a new year, walking with God, day by day.

3 comments:

  1. LOL, pumpkin soup! I have to laugh, given our ancient history with pumpkin soup :) I'm sure yours is better than mine was! I'd ask for your recipe, but I don't think your dad or your sister will ever eat the stuff again ;) Glad it was good though - it looks yummy to me! you Happy New Year to both of you. Indeed, walking with God day by day.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even if your dad and sister will never eat pumpkin soup again, I still think you should post the recipe!

    Hugs from the Eugene Harms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin soup, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete