12 January 2011

A day we can't stop remembering

There's a road near the airport called "October 15th." It's near the hardware store, so I've traveled it often, and I've wondered what happened on that day, why on earth they'd name a road after it.

But I will never wonder if they name something after January 12th. Hard to believe it's been a year already since the earthquake. I don't have to tell you how little has changed, physically. They're still finding bodies, I hear. They probably will for a long time to come. And yet spiritually, emotionally, relationally, growth is happening. God still lives here, and He's not going anywhere.

In some ways, it feels strange to stop and remember a day that we can't stop remembering on any day. But then again, I didn't lose a friend. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who was here on that day who can say that.


I invite you to join me in prayer for Haiti today. Many people will be gathered today at 5:00 Eastern time, which is near the time the earthquake hit. Here are some things you can pray for Haiti, if you like:

*Comfort for those who mourn; that Christ would bind up the brokenhearted

*That this would be a year of the Lord's favor in Haiti, where eyes are opened to His light

*That God would give them a crown of beauty for their ashes; the oil of joy instead of mourning; and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair

*That what's done here would be a display of God's glory, for the world to see

4 comments:

  1. I will be praying with you. Thank-you for this blog and for all that you and David are doing for God and for Haiti. No matter how much you both love God and Haiti, it can't be easy being so far from your family and having to go so long without seeing them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and Haiti today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a long-time (not "old"!) friend of Ed and Georgina's (had lunch with them today and promised Georgina I would do this), and have known Kathy and Ted since they were very young. You're doing a great service in Haiti, and everyone is very proud of you. Your blogs are sensitive and delightful. We pray for your health, safety and happy landings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me curious, so I looked it up. :) It looks like October 15th was the day that Jean-Bertrand Aristide was reinstated in 1994... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Bertrand_Aristide

    Just thought I'd share :) Thinking of you and praying for you.

    ReplyDelete