15 December 2010

The World First, Me Second

I read this in Streams in the Desert last night, one of my favorite devotionals. Thanks for putting us in your prayers, in whatever order we may fall.

How do we pray when we follow the desires of our own hearts? We say, "Lord, bless me, then my family, my church, my city, and my country." We start with those closest to us and gradually move outward, ultimately praying for the expansion of God's kingdom throughout the world. 
Our Master's prayer, however, begins where we end. He taught us to pray for the world first and our personal needs second. Only after our prayer has covered every continent, every remote island of the sea, every person in the last hidden tribe, and every desire and purpose of God for the world are we taught to ask for a piece of bread for ourselves.

1 comment: