13 December 2010

Intervention

Dear Haiti,

I'm so glad to see you're back to normal today. The pilots are working, the tap-taps* are running, the ladies are out selling, and all is right with the world. However, Haiti, I've been concerned about some of your behavior lately. See, if I go out now, everything will be great. People joking with one another, carrying stuff on their heads, playing with their kids. It's a beautiful thing, really.


But tomorrow, you might implode again, and then David and I will have to pull Scrabble back off the shelf. You've got American Airlines running scared, Haiti, and frankly, you sometimes scare me, too. Burning things and throwing rocks isn't a super way to resolve conflict. It's still strange to me how you can reverse direction like that, in an instant, from peace to violence, in the blink of an eye.


I just hate to see you like that, Haiti. There's more out there for you. Your history is impressive, really...an uneducated group of slaves who stood up again tyranny. Sure, it wasn't all peachy, but you won your freedom. You built something worth saving, something to be proud of. Now you're throwing around words like revolution and civil war, and if that's the way you want to go, I guess I can't stop you. You're right that you need change, but if this is the way you choose to go about it, you may lose more than you gain.


There's a lot to gain, Haiti, and we pray you'll get it. We pray you'll find peace.

With deep affection,

Christine

*A tap-tap is the Haitian version of public transportation sans reliability and/or safety measures.

1 comment:

  1. Grandpa & GrandmaMon Dec 13, 04:28:00 PM EST

    Christine, you are an awesome writer, so enjoyed your piece on Haiti.

    ReplyDelete