05 November 2010

In the Night

I woke up at 3:30 AM. It was startlingly quiet. No dogs barking, no roosters, no cars. Out my window, I could see the vines moving in the wind, and it was still raining. Off and on, it'd been raining since about 2:00 the afternoon before. I tried to fall back asleep, but my brain started to wake up. The thoughts began to creep in...Should I let Gracie out before the storm really starts? Should I pull my plants inside? Should I pull my laundry off the line? Should I check e-mail before the internet goes down?

It was the laundry that finally got me out of bed. Leaving my sleeping pilot, I wandered downstairs to find my keys and shoes. The power was still on, but our batteries were already charged from last night, praise God. I quickly crossed the laundry room, hoping not to meet any mice on the way. The laundry was still soaking wet, of course, but at least it wouldn't blow away in 50 mph winds. I have no desire for my laundry to end up in Cuba.

I pulled the plants inside, and my teeth started to chatter. 'Weird,' I thought. 'Probably partly stress.' Then I laughed. 'Gee, what would I have to be stressed about?' I locked up and went back upstairs, my "watch dogs" sleeping through it all. I delightedly pulled the quilt out of the closet and tossed it on the bed. I'd like to tell you that I snuggled up and fell right asleep, but I didn't, so I can't. But I did fall asleep praying, praying for God to turn the hurricane away, reminding Him that the wind and the waves obey Him.

It's about 7:30 here now, and it's raining, but so far, we don't have any high winds. The airport is closed, so David gets a day off work. I'm usually in favor of long weekends, but not in this case.

Thanks for the prayers...we'll see what the rest of the morning brings.

1 comment: