07 October 2010

Heroes



I went with my MAF friend J to put together some rice and beans packages for some families at her church...this was after one guy fainted at work, because he hadn't had anything to eat. When we arrived, she looked out at the soccer field and said, "Oh good, the soccer team's here."

I didn't think much of it at first, but as I looked, I noticed there was something a bit different about these guys.

Some of them didn't have both legs. But these guys rocketed around like I couldn't have imagined. The midfielders and forwards didn't just move forward on their crutches--they launched themselves. What's more, they managed to further increase the effectiveness of their catapult by hopping on one foot to squeeze a little more distance.

Some of them didn't have both arms. It's a requirement for goalies on this team.

This is the Haitian Amputee Soccer Team, and they're making the best of a bad situation. Most of them are new amputees since the quake--yet they've qualified for the World Cup of Amputee Soccer in Argentina on October 17th. If their visas come in time, they'll get to go (hint: you might pray about that). They've been staying at J's church in order to practice more. They're group showering to save water.

I don't think it's dramatic to say that these guys are my heroes. And I pray God's getting the glory for this, because it's pretty awesome.

If you want to find out more about these guys, you can visit here and here.

Heroes, people. Heroes.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. You are absolutely right!They are heroes. That is the thing that blows me away.What incredible spirit and bravery. It brings tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - incredible!! Thanks for sharing, they are heroes.

    ReplyDelete