26 August 2010

Band-aid Love

I finally made it back to the feeding program at Child Hope yesterday...Jameson wasn't there, but I found plenty of other friends to play with. After being put to shame by some very fine young soccer players (is 26 old? Because it sure felt it), I decided to sit down for a while. A girl of about six came up to me and wanted to be picked up, and I was more than willing to oblige. I noticed she had a scraped knee, and as you might expect, she'd fallen down on the concrete while playing.

It may sound silly to you, but very often, no one looks after scraped knees here. No one kisses their boo-boo's. No one wipes their tears away. And it makes them and me feel pretty helpless sometimes. So I decided this was a moment for action.

I went and got my water bottle, which has purified water in it, and cupped my hand around her knee, slowly pouring the warm water on the wound to wash it out a little. It occurred to me that I shouldn't touch it, since I was just reading that morning about how AIDS continues to be a problem here. An older boy tugged at my sleeve and pointed across the yard. Two people, wearing rubber gloves, were inspecting and treating various wounds. Even better! I pointed her in the right direction, even as three boys with a ball found me again and wanted to toss it around.

I'm ashamed to say, I quickly forgot about the girl, in the hustle and bustle of things. But as we started worship, I felt a tug at my sleeve and looked down into the smiling face of a girl wearing a purple jumper, the same girl I'd helped before. I picked her up, but she kept shifting around in my arms, trying to move my left arm up. Then I realized--she was showing me her knee, now clean and dry, with a brand-new Band-aid on it.

And it may sound silly to you, but that Band-aid made our day.

Other random updates: I'm planning to help out with a sewing class at the orphanage, starting next Thursday...The housing search has stagnated for the moment, I'm afraid...but we're continue to trust God's timing. David's hard at work, mostly doing inspections right now...but at the dinner table last night, he admitted that this is the first job in his life he actually likes. That's what a wife likes to hear!

Thanks for all your prayers, friends.

2 comments:

  1. It makes me very happy to know that you are helping the children of Haiti and kissing their boo boos.I will continue to pray about your housing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear you are both settling in to productive roles. Someone famous (but not famous enough for me to remember who) said, "If you enjoy your job, you'll never have to work a day in your life.". :-)

    ReplyDelete